16 April, 2007

A Less-Than-Regal Dinner


I had been invited to attend a dinner cum talk (in conjunction with the recent National Heart Association meeting) on a fine Saturday evening. The speaker was a professor of cardiology from France and the venue was the rather exclusive Carcosa Seri Negara.

I simply couldn't pass up this opportunity.

Me, I like fine things. Carcosa promises just that - grand colonial mansions, lush sweeping lawns, dainty tea cups, gleaming silverware and exquisite china. Not my typical weekend. You could tell I was psyched. (Incidentally E&O Hotel is one of my favourite hotels, Smokehouse in Jalan Mayang KL is my favourite fine restaurant - I love structures with a distinct colonial influence.)

We arrived to find the place in a less than pristine state. Well, maybe the lighting wasn't flattering, but was it not peeling paint here and a water stain on the wall there? I didn't get a chance to explore the place, as we were quickly whisked-off to the function room where the talk promptly began. No matter. I was too embarassed to take out my bulky DSLR camera - stuffed somewhat pathetically in my bag - to begin snapping away anyway. Like, hello! Have never been to Carcosa ah? Actually, no!

Dinner took place in Gulai House, supposedly well-known for its local specialties. I'm no food critic, but after years of eating out I'm inclined to think that I have developed discerning taste receptors. The food, to say the least, was disappointing! After a decent starter of satay skewered in lemongrass stalks and a somewhat salty prawn and spinach soup, things went downhill. Of notable mention were the prawns - they were close to decomposition! My boisterous company made no attempt to disguise their disgust. And again, I was too embarassed to whip out my monster of a camera to take some shots of the so-called food (which would have made good blog material). Like, hello! Have never eaten fancy food ah? Suffice to say, we did not stay back for dessert!

The Gulai House


I admit some of us behaved like ungrateful guests. Well, I appreciate being invited. I most certainly won't come here to dine on my own. At least I can now blog about my Carcosa experience! Then again, surely the food can be better? Especially since it's so pricey!

No comments: