21 May, 2007

Hair Woes


I'm a low-maintenance woman.

I couldn't sustain a high-maintenance existence even if I wanted to. I hold an unglamorous job, and while I maintain that style AND substance will get you far, I'd look out of place all dolled-up. Not in the hospital anyway. My only indulgence? Trips to the hair salon.

Of late, these trips have become somewhat stressful, and not unlike a visit to the hospital. Here's how :

THE WAIT
Sure, some salons entertain walk-ins; the hot shot ones by appointment only. There's no numbering system, no irritating ding-dongs indicating your number is up. But you wait, nonetheless.

NO CONTINUITY OF CARE
Then, the person you trust with your hair is not always available. He may be on leave, or held up with another patient...I mean customer. Darn, but he knows my hair history. Are you sure the junior MO...I mean stylist, is competent? Which hair design institute did he graduate from anyway?

MORE THAN YOU BARGAIN FOR
I come for a wash-and-cut, but I always end up with a new diagnosis that requires further treatment. Hair too frizzy. Scalp too greasy. Colour fading. Excessive hair loss. Each time there's a new - expensive - product to be purchased to avoid further complications. If my hairstylist conducts a spot-check of my bathroom he'd conclude that I'm a customer who practises polyhairproduct-y but who has compliance problems (bottles and bottles of unfinished hair products).

THE DEFAULTER
My stylist expects to see me more frequently than I can afford (both temporally and financially). He says, see you in 6 weeks for a trim and I don't turn up unless my bad-hair days become more intense, more frequent and occur even when I'm not post-call. I'm a bad customer, but I have no time.

Phew, lucky for me I'm not into facials, manicures or pedicures.

4 comments:

dobbs said...

That's why I only go to my regular hairdresser back in AS. Have been going there for years. Once in 3-4 months for a haircut is not ideal but better than nothing I guess!

fibrate said...

Too bad I can't do the same...my "regular" hairdresser resides in Kuching!

Las montaƱas said...

Hi, came here from jimbo.

"are you sure the junior MO ..."

the sad fact is, many times it is true! would prefer to have a MO than a creaky consultant.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest you go to Y-trim? It's a bit pricey but they do a good job. :-) And you can call ahead and book your favourite hunk/babe (depend on your predisposition).