03 June, 2007

The Transformers


My brothers and I loved Transformers (probably under heavy influence of a cousin whom my second brother worshipped). I think the appeal lies in the humanisation of the bots, and how good versus evil is played out. That good always triumphs, against great odds.

I saw the first animated movie. When Optimus Prime "died", we fought back tears.

Perceptor: I fear the wounds are... fatal.

Daniel: [long pause] Prime, you can't die.

Optimus Prime: Do not grieve. Soon I shall be one with the matrix.

Hot Rod: Prime.

Optimus Prime: Ultra Magnus, it is to you, old friend, I shall pass the matrix of leadership as it was passed to me.

Ultra Magnus: But Prime, I'm - I'm just a soldier. I - I'm not worthy.

Optimus Prime: Nor was I. But one day, an Autobot shall rise from our ranks, and use the power of the matrix to light our darkest hour.
[opens his chest to reveal the matrix. Removes it and begins to hand it over to Ultra Magnus]

Optimus Prime: Until that day, till all are one.
[Matrix starts to fall to the ground. Hot Rod catches it, gives it to Ultra Magnus. Ultra Magnus inserts it inside. Prime dies]

And when the Autobots seemed to be headed for a certain doom, Rodimus Prime saved the day.

Rodimus Prime: This is the end of the road, Galvatron.
[throws Galvatron through Unicron's hull and opens the Matrix]

Rodimus Prime: Now light our darkest hour!

The place blew up. And the soundtrack played. What a moment!

Michael Bay, please don't disappoint us.

6 comments:

sbanboy said...

TRansformers my all time favorite ... now looking for all the old series .... cant wait for the movie in July :D

fibrate said...

Sban Boy : That kind of reveals how OLD we are, huh?

M K said...

Transformer is one the most anticipated movies in this year. The sneak peak until now yet to showed the massive autobot vs decepticon war. I won't put too much anticipation for it but should be suitable for adults.

fibrate said...

Let's hope it does the original cartoon justice!

william_mccuan said...

What Does That Mean?
Till all are one, a bit ambiguous
http://ablogforprimates.blogspot.com/
Difference in interpertation.

fibrate said...

I agree, it's a bit ambiguous. Maybe he meant that when the powers of the Matrix were unleashed all Autobots will unite and "become one", figuratively speaking?